Make sure your agent has a licence
So you are thinking of buying or selling your home. First thing to know is that all agents involved in selling or acquiring property, must be licensed by the Property Services Regulatory Authority. Of these licensed agents, many of whom are chartered and therefore are members of the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland.
Advantages of selecting a chartered agent
It’s important that you select the right agent to buy or sell your home so that you receive the best advice. Seek references from recent clients to satisfy yourself that they have the competence to do the job and that they are an effective communicator.
Here are some of the advantages of using an SCSI regulated agent:
- chartered agents are assessed for competence to ensure clients receive the best advice
- they act in your interest
- they are tightly regulated and have to follow strict rules of conduct
- SCSI members have a specific set of rules and best practice guidance, such as the Real Estate Agency Practice Manual which is designed to help ensure SCSI estate agents provide an exceptional service
- SCSI members have to update their skills and knowledge throughout their careers, so you can rely on their expertise