Chief Assistant Technical Services Officer (Multiple Locations)
The PPP Office as part of HSE Capital & Estates function provides a range of professional, technical and project management, related services for all stages of the project lifecycle. for all HSE facilities that are delivered as part of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) Projects portfolio. The HSE currently has 14 Primary Care Centres delivered via PPP and are currently working on a Community Nursing Unit PPP project.
In addition, the Dublin based roles may have responsibilities related to delivery of a large-scale complex national equipping and infrastructure project as part of the role out of the National Plan for Radiation Oncology on 3 acute hospital sites.
Services provided include design, specification, project management, supervision and procurement associated with the delivery of the all projects within the PPP Office including the contract management of the operational stage. While the PPP is a bespoke contract model there will also be a requirement to work with the Public Works Contract framework and managing the delivery of traditional design and technical advisory services.
Purpose of the Post
To provide senior project and contract administration support to the design and delivery of the HSE’s Public Private Partnership (PPP) portfolio and other capital projects/assignments within the HSE Capital & Estates portfolio. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and oversee project administration systems to support activities associated with the HSE’s PPP projects portfolio and/or other projects in the Capital & Estates portfolio.
- Oversee the day to day management of the PPP contract management systems during the 25 year operations phase of the PPP projects.
- Manage resources including staff to provide systems administration support to management and technical staff.
Principle duties and responsibilities
The Chief Assistant Technical Services Officer will:
Provide services as appropriate in the development, execution and management of major capital projects for the PPP Office assisting in the planning and supervision of the execution of these projects by:
- Providing project and contract management support to deliver the full scope of services for the delivery and oversight of HSE PPP Projects.
- Participating in all stages of PPP projects development, procurement, construction and contract management.
- Coordinating and managing the design team services under the direction of the national PPP Office.
- Attending sites during construction to review and report on progress.
- Managing stakeholder engagement and be the PPP Office point of contact with HSE operations staff, local internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with the wider Capital and Estates function, HSE service management, CHOs and the national PPP office on all aspects of project delivery as required.
- Reviewing all aspects of the performance of PPP Co. including planned preventative maintenance (PPM) schedules, legislative compliance, condition surveys, lifecycle plans, fire safety requirements, H&S responsibilities, utilities consumptions/targets and cleaning/portering activities in line with contractual requirements.
- Review the PPP Co. Helpdesk on a daily basis to assist in the contract performance management process.
- Address issues of non-performance or failures to comply with requirements under the contract or legislatively by PPP Co. should they arise.
- Supporting the activities of the national PPP office in administering the PPP contract including participating in periodic insurance reviews, audits, market testing of PPP Co. services and other requirements that arise.
- Attending monthly service and performance review meetings with PPP Co.
- Undertaking monthly visits to carry out audits and inspections of services and facilities.
- Managing change or variations required under the small works clause of the contract including preparing the necessary documents for changes under the small works clause and variations in compliance with the PPP Contract.
Provide services as appropriate in the development and execution of the PPP Office projects portfolio to plan and supervise the execution of these projects by;
- Managing the preparation of a comprehensive brief for the projects in consultation with services and capital & estates personnel and advisors.
- Ensuring that the brief is known and understood, in appropriate detail, by all those who are likely to work in the new facility.
- Managing the necessary and appropriate consultation processes, meetings and other activities necessary to satisfactory completion of the project.
- Complying with all regulatory requirements including permission, licences, certificates and approvals.
- Acting as senior administrative officer for the management of the project and helping to resolve quickly such issues as may be for resolution and agreement.
- Defining requirements for design services, buildings and equipment.
- Advising on the selection of Design Teams, other professional services and Contractors for Capital Projects, arranging and managing the procurement processes.
- Arranging for preparation of specifications, drawing and contract documents for Capital Projects.
- Obtaining approval to proposals as necessary in accordance with HSE protocols and regulations in a timely manner.
- Developing proposals with selected design teams and contractors.
- Developing action plans for the timely and efficient completion of contracts. Co-ordinating the tender and control stages of the project, having close liaison with the design team, site supervisory staff, etc. on the one hand and hospital personnel on the other.
- Supervising staff and contractors in the implementation of agreed programmes.
- Working with service management and nurse planners to ensure that the equipping/commissioning team is established in good time, is adequately briefed and trained, and is effectively supported in carrying out its work.
- Ensuring that the equipping/commissioning team is established in good time, is adequately briefed and trained, and is effectively supported in carrying out its work.
- Managing and controlling agreed project timescales and budgets for planning, design, construction and equipping and budgets to agreed quality standards.
- Anticipating difficulties and problems, especially those arising from phasing, variations, commissioning and vacating, and ensuring that where necessary these are either resolved directly or brought to the notice of the Estates Manager and Project Board, for decisions on avoidable claims for delays, extras etc.
- Managing and controlling expenditure on each assigned project. This is to include presentations to senior management and Project Board as required, of information and current estimates of total costs, running statements of financial commitment and forecasts of expenditure.
- Checking design team fees accounts with regards to agreed fees and preparing same for certification by the Deputy Project Director. He/she shall process payments to contractors and design team firms for payment in accordance with constraints set down in contract documents, forms of agreement and statutory provisions.
- Advising line management on measures appropriate to enable the orderly phasing out of services in old facilities and the transfer to new facilities of staff and services.
- Assisting in the orderly phasing of developments by agreeing appropriate arrangements with line management and to keep line management and senior clinical staff informed of the plans as the developments proceed.
Plan and supervise the execution of minor capital works by:
- Developing a comprehensive brief for the project for minor capital works in consultation with local managers and Maintenance Officers/Engineering Officers.
- Preparing or arranging for preparation of plans and contract documents to detail required.
- Arranging for the appointment and management of design teams where required.
- Arranging for submission of tenders and recommending tenders for acceptance.
- Agreeing programme for project with contractors.
- Arranging for the management of the minor capital works.
- Ensuring that agreed programme is completed within time and tender sum.
Prepare in consultation with appropriate officers and advisors, programmes for the maintenance of buildings, services, and equipment by:
- Defining in accordance with overall guidelines, maintenance requirements of all buildings, services, and equipment capital works and fire precautions schemes required to assist in the delivery or variations to the delivery of PPP/HSE facilities.
- Preparing budgets for the carrying out of the proposed programmes.
- Reviewing PPP Co. proposals in terms of approach to discharge agreed programmes and preparing action plans for carrying out of same.
Ensure that adequate fire prevention and safety measures and standards are designed and applied by:
- Ensuring PPP Co. is providing a programme for implementation of agreed measures and arranging for employment and training of sufficient fire prevention officers.
- Reviewing annual programmes for fire precautions schemes provided by PPP Co. in consultation the Service Managers and Fire Prevention Officers as required.
Review advice on the efficient use of energy and work with PPP Co., services personnel and other capital & estates personnel and advisors on the efficient use of energy in healthcare premises by;
- Monitoring PPP Co. reporting on the energy consumption in PPP premises.
- Assessing the energy efficiency standards in premises in accordance with current standards and regulations.
- Advising on investment proposals in energy saving projects as proposed by PPP Co.
- Overseeing PPP Co.’s implementation of agreed investment proposals on energy saving projects.
Review facilities and environmental matters in conjunction with PPP Co., services personnel and other capital & estates personnel, and advisors as required by:
- Assisting as necessary in assessing Health & Safety of facilities and environmental risks.
- Co-operating with HSE Fire and Safety Officers, Services Managers, Health & Safety, Risk Management, Occupational Health and Infection Control Staff in addressing facilities improvements with regard to legislative compliance and ensuring PPP Co. are complying with the requirements.
- Adequately identifies, assesses, manages and monitors risk within their area of responsibility.
- Engage in the HSE performance achievement process in conjunction with your Line Manager and staff as appropriate.
- Achievement of targets and plans and completion of agreed programme within allocated budget.
- Act as spokesperson for the PPP Office as required.
- Demonstrate pro-active commitment to all communications with internal and external stakeholders.
- Succeed in developing good working relationships with other members of the team to support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc. and comply with associated HSE protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him / her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Candidates must have at the latest date of application:
1. Professional Qualifications, Experience, etc.
i) Hold a Level 8 (or higher) Quality & Qualifications Ireland (QQI) major academic award in Architecture, Engineering or Surveying accredited by the relevant Professional Institute (Society of Chartered Surveyors in Ireland, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Engineers Ireland, Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland).
ii) Have Membership of the relevant professional association:
– Society of Chartered Surveyors in Ireland
– Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
– Engineers Ireland
– Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland
iii) Be eligible for registration under the Building Control Act 2007, without requiring further assessment as it applies to your qualified discipline.
iv) Hold a qualification at least equivalent to i), ii) or iii).
v) Have had at least seven years’ satisfactory experience after attaining the qualification at i), ii), iii) or iv) above in architecture, engineering or surveying work, including adequate experience in the construction or maintenance of buildings or in the installation or maintenance of the mechanical, electrical and heating services of such buildings.
vi) Possess a high standard of technical training and experience.
vii) Possess the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and of administrative capacity) for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
Post Specific Requirements
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of experience as is relevant to the role; including experience in the design, construction or maintenance of buildings, or in the installation or maintenance of the mechanical, electrical and heating services of such buildings.
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of technical training and experience as relevant to the role.
Other requirements specific to the post
Access to appropriate transport is necessary as the post will involve travel between sites.
Skills, competencies and/or knowledge
Professional Knowledge & Experience
- A high level of knowledge and experience of the construction of buildings and building services and an understanding of the maintenance requirements.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards, Standards for Residential Care and Primary Care etc., as they apply to the role.
- Knowledge and understanding of the healthcare environment, particularly of residential buildings, hospitals and other health facilities.
- Good working knowledge of legislation and technical guidance in the estates area including Building, Planning, Health & Safety and Fire Safety Regulations.
- Knowledge of relevant internationally accepted standards in relation to the design and maintenance of health care buildings.
- Knowledge of option appraisal procedures, brief writing and building user consultation, cost estimation and control, hospital design, healthcare and project management and of the procurement process appropriate to public sector capital projects.
- Knowledge and experience in the delivery and management of employer design, design build and Public Private Projects.
- Knowledge and experience of managing complex contractual structures.
Building & Maintaining Relationships including Leadership & Team Work Skills
- Leadership and team management skills including the ability to work with multi-disciplinary team members, internal and external stakeholders.
- Evidence of influencing and negotiation skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships.
- The ability to be flexible, team-oriented and a relationship-builder.
- Capacity to achieve results through cross-sectoral / divisional working.
- The capacity to lead, organise and motivate staff to function effectively in times of rapid change.
Planning & Managing Resources
- Flexibility, adaptability and openness to working effectively in a changing environment.
- Evidence of effective planning and organising skills including awareness of resource management and importance of value for money.
- Ability to manage deadlines and effectively handle multiple tasks.
- High level understanding of the day to day business challenges whilst not losing sight of long term strategic goals.
- The ability to deliver immediate operational performance.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers; results oriented.
- A service-user centred approach to the provision of services.
- A track record of service innovation and delivery in a challenging environment.
- Strong results focus and ability to achieve results through collaborative working.
Evaluating Information, Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Ability to operate as an effective strategic and tactical thinker.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge and application of evidence based decision making practices and methodologies.
- Ability to challenge effectively and to maintain the highest levels of professional integrity in challenging circumstances.
Commitment to Providing a Quality Service
- Commitment to providing a quality service including an awareness and appreciation of the service user.
- Commitment to continuing professional development.
- Commitment to improving outcomes for service users.
- The capacity to cope with competing demands without a diminution in performance.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Effective communication skills including the ability to give constructive feedback to encourage learning.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management and external stakeholders.
- The ability to communicate ideas, positions and information clearly and convincingly.
- Excellent ICT and report writing skills.
- The ability to facilitate and manage groups and to give constructive feedback.
- Good interpersonal skills to interface effectively with all stakeholders.
- Good public relations ability, enthusiasm and initiative.
Deadline for application
Tuesday 27th June 2023 at 12 Noon
For further information on this post and how to apply please visit