Senior Development Officer (Construction)
The Senior Development Officer (Construction) is a new position and will join the existing Development Team. The primary specialism of this role it to fulfil a representative and coordination management role on behalf of North & East Housing Association (Company/Client) on Employer Led construction projects and other turnkey led projects as required. Reporting to the Development Manager, the role will be the point of liaison with Design Team management, ensuring overall compliance with the relevant and prevailing regulatory frameworks/regulations. The role will involve strong multi stakeholder liaison and communications, to include internal Executive, Local Authorities, DHLGH, local Community Engagement, Project Board/Sponsors, preparing updates for the North & East Development & Property Services Committee and Board as appropriate. The post requires excellent technical knowledge in areas such as Planning, Building Control, Construction and Building Regulations, and all stages of the construction project development cycle. The role will input to feasibility/appraisal of other Local Authority Expression of Interest opportunities, and new business strategic opportunity areas according with the current Company Strategic Plan, and succession strategies.
Principal Objective of Position
Core Responsibilities and Duties:
- To provide a project key day to day Company/Client Representative role in all areas of construction undertaking on behalf of the Company.
- Under the overall direction of the Development Manager, this will entail being the key project point of contact, liaising with and providing project instructions to all relevant personnel across Project Management/Employers Representative, Architect Lead/Employers Representative disciplines through both the Capital Work Management Framework and Turnkey Frameworks, as appropriate to the undertaking.
- Day to day oversight of Design Team adherence to all prevailing project relevant regulations, project programme, cost parameters, and in-house procedures in consultation with the executive and other key stakeholders.
- To assist the Development Manager in the assessment of specific turnkey led acquisition opportunities, assisting with the preparation of feasibility and economic appraisals.
- Provide periodic supports and inputs to the team as required on specific strategies, such as Expressions of Interest or Call for Proposal outturn strategies from strategic partners and funding agencies.
- Periodically, assisting in the preparation of scope of services briefings, liaising with company procurement consultancy as, in the preparation of a project brief, specification, scope of services documents and the tender packages for design teams, assisting in managing procurement activity via the Office of Government Procurement and e-tender procurement portals. Assist in managing mini competitions in context of utilising these employment frameworks.
- Through good communications and engagement, assist the Development Manager and wider team, with stakeholder and housing provider business relationship development and management, establishing and sustaining new and repeat business outturn opportunities.
- Assist the development team in the retention of up-to-date data in relation to construction costs and projections, and key contractor activity.
- To coordinate transactional, funder and regulatory compliance on employer led/specific turnkey led construction projects facilitating compliance with the various statutory regulations in force, funding scheme specifics and underwriting standards required.
- To be aware of DHLGH memoranda and circular provisions, and EU public procurement requirements in context of relationship and consequent approach/effect to project undertakings. Project Management Accountability: • Manage and liaise effectively and regularly with the designated Project Manager/Architect Lead/Employers Representative on a project specific basis.
- Liaise with Architectural discipline in determining the Client required design and specification to address the intended tenant profile.
- Liaise with Company appointed Legal Representatives at the appropriate stages to coordinate provisions and ability to meet legal construction deliverables and funder covenant deliverables.
- Liaise and coordinate with all stakeholders and statutory agencies to facilitate advancing and securing stage approvals for both Department of Housing Local Government and Heritage (DHLGH) and Housing Finance Agency (HFA) funding sources. • Monitoring, and reporting progress of contract undertaking to Development Manager at suitable intervals.
- Attending site meetings regularly, and as necessary. Manage and liaise with the Project Manager, Employers Representative, and appointed Quantity Surveyors effectively and diligently regarding change orders and compensation events arising in the case of Employer Led Construction.
- Interact and liaise at all stages with Company Appointed Representatives on turnkey led undertakings, providing for effective and diligent alignment to required company procedure, and procurement requirements for this output approach.
- Liaise with the Design Team as appropriate in the selected Building Contractor tendering process in consultation with Project Manager/Project Architect/Quantity Surveyor/Services Engineer, to ensure that contractual arrangements comply with statutory requirements, and that appropriate risk elimination and mitigation exists for the Company as contract awarding body.
- Ensure all Health & Safety regulations are adhered to, that Employer duties under the Construction Regulations 2006 – 2013 are adhered to in terms of appropriate appointments.
- Ensure all necessary Design Team and Consultant insurances are in place, with the appropriate levels of Professional Indemnity, Employers and Public Lability insurances, and that these are maintained up to date, liaising with company insurers and having full regard for fulfilment of funder indemnity levels and collateral warranty requirements.
- To monitor and report on project capital expenditure, ensuring budgets and cashflow projections are being maintained within tolerances and flagging any forecast variances in a timely and appropriate approach.
- Liaise with finance department for all claim payments at all project stages and ensuing claims form local authorities and funders are processed and managed expeditiously and diligently.
- In general work collaboratively with the finance team in ensuring timely implementation of payment and availability funding on given transactions in meeting lending covenants.
- To represent the Company as required in negotiations to approved thresholds per delegated authority in this respect.
- Work effectively and diligently with appointed Project Manager/Employers Representative/Quantity Surveyor at contract final account stage.
- Ensure all handover documentation is available on practical completion, ensuring compliance with Building Control Amendment Regulations per legal construction deliverables and PSCS safety file collation requirements.
- Interact with the Project Architect in the undertaking of the defects inspection/snagging process on Employer Led undertakings to coordinate company requirements and standards being adhered to.
- Coordinate with company representative or property services team member undertaking defect/snagging process on turnkey led assignments, to coordinate company requirements and standards being adhered to.
- Coordinate on internal department interdependency areas generally, including task mobilisation based on forecast and actual hand-over of dwellings.
- To prepare scheme proposal and status update papers for assigned undertakings for the Development and Property Services Committee.
- Contributing to the effective delivery of a quality service through the formulation, review and implementation of policies and procedures.
- To be aware of, and act in accordance with up-to-date Statutory Instruments and to keep abreast of changes in relevant legislation.
- Maintain a good knowledge of the Capital Works Management Framework provisions and monitor change development in Government Public Works Capital Contracts and Conditions of Engagement for Consultants.
- Administer records and files to a high standard, providing for ready review and retrieval of data.
- Ensure compliance with policy and procedure areas, providing for robust compliance with internal audit review protocols.
- Represent the Company as a liaison with the Irish Council for Social Housing (ICSH), and other representative bodies, attending meetings and working groups, and influencing policy areas as appropriate.
- To undertake any other occasional duties which are consistent with the responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Essential
- Relevant 3rd level professional, degree level qualification, and at least 3 – 5 years’ experience in construction, development, design, or building/quantity surveying environment is essential.
- At least 2 years’, or a similar project lifecycle timeline, post graduate demonstrable experience in construction project coordination/management/contract administration of residential projects.
- The post will require own vehicle travel and associated time flexibility within the company output/operational areas.
- Computer literacy with experience that includes word-processing, spreadsheets, presentation packages, e-mail, electronic scheduling software inc. MS Project.
- Ability to work well within a team, and team interdependency environment.
- High degree of efficiency, ability to self-direct, and work well within a team structure.
- Good awareness of current housing policy, including the Housing for All Plan, and social issues impacting housing policy.
- A specific project management qualification.
- Knowledge of Project financing solutions and funder covenant conditions and deliverables.
- Sectoral experience in provision of residential accommodation under Government Housing Policy as delivered through the Housing for All Plan, other Approved Housing Bodies would be a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrable knowledge of administration of the Capital Works Management Frameworks, Government forms of Construction Contracts and Consultant Conditions of Engagement would be a distinct advantage.
- Project management and stakeholder/customer communication skills.
- Ability to use own initiative.
- Budgetary/Programme monitoring & control.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects/transactions.
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills.
- Negotiation Skills.
- Solutions focused approach to problem solving.
- IT Skills, including mobile data management platforms.
- Willingness to work outside normal office hours per resource and projects demands, and on occasions attending lunchtime and evening meetings.
- Full Clean Driving Licence.
Internal: CEO, Development, Finance, Property Services, Tenant Services and Engagement Teams External: Local Authorities, Design Teams, Building Contractors, Developers, Legal Teams, Funders
Reporting To: Development Manager
Contact details for applicants if you have any queries about the role please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in the role, please submit your cv along with a covering letter to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on Tuesday 6 February 2024. If you have any queries around the role please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you looking for a career in Housing? Would you like to be part of a dynamic, evolving Approved Housing Body? North & East Housing Association currently have a full-time permanent vacancy within our Development Team:
Senior Development Officer (Construction) – €46,606 to €63,979 North & East Housing Association are based in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 and have developments in 11 counties including Louth, Monaghan, Meath, Laois, Wicklow, and Dublin. If you would like to be part of an organisation that engages with tenants and relevant stakeholders internally and externally to deliver high-quality tenant services with a high emphasis on customer service please visit our website at www.northandeast.ie to view the jobs we currently have on offer.
Hybrid working will be available after 3 months service/induction/training.