Who We Are
Who We Are
Who We Are
Dating back to 1895, the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland is the independent professional body for chartered surveyors working and practicing in Ireland.
Working in partnership with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, the pre-eminent chartered professional body for the construction, land and property sectors around the world, the Society and RICS act in the public interest: setting and maintaining the highest standards of competence and integrity among the profession; and providing impartial, authoritative advice on key issues for business, society and governments.
The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland was formed as a result of a merger between the Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCS) and the Irish Auctioneers and Valuers Institute (IAVI) in April 2011.
Our Members: Chartered Surveyors
With 5,000 members nationwide, the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland, in conjunction with RICS, awards the chartered surveyor professional qualification which is the internationally recognised mark of excellence in the construction, land and property sectors.
Members of the profession are typically employed in the construction, land and property markets through private practice, in central and local government, in state agencies, in academic institutions, in business organisations and in non-governmental organisations.
Types of Surveyors
Chartered Surveyors are highly trained and experienced professionals who are typically employed throughout the construction, land and property sectors and will usually specialise in one of the following areas:
- Quantity Surveyor advises on the costs of developing all types of buildings and infrastructure.
- Building Surveyor carries out building surveys and provides management and design consultancy services.
- Project Management Surveyor manages complex building and infrastructural projects.
- Planning & Development Surveyor manages the proposals to develop new or refurbish existing buildings.
- Geomatics Surveyor maps the built and natural environment to provide accurate spatial data which facilitates planning, development and conservation.
- Minerals Surveyor provides expertise in the full life cycle of mineral development.
- Rural Surveyor values, manages and sells agricultural land including forestry.
- Residential Agency Surveyor — provides professional expertise in the valuation, management, letting and sale of residential property.
- Commercial Agency Surveyor — provides professional expertise in the valuation, management, letting and sale of commercial property.
- Valuation Surveyor — provides professional expertise in valuations, acquisitions, disposals, investments and rent reviews for all types of property.
- Property and Facilities Management Surveyor — provides professional management services for residential and commercial multi-unit developments and facilities.
- Arts and Antiques Surveyor — provides professional expertise in the valuation, and sale of arts and antiques.
Strategic Plan Roadmap 2024
Corporate Social Responsibility & Surveyors Declare